Labels

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Tanah Merah, Kelantan

Event date: 1st March 2013

Upon arrival at Tanah Merah train station, hubby took an evident photo that I was there for my journal. Kelantan was declared as flooded state few days before our arrival. God bless, weather was good throughout our 3 days stay in Kelantan. On 4th March 2013, the Kelantan state is declared as cleared from flooding season.


My brother, Shabri was waiting for us at Tanah Merah station with our rented car for 3 days. It was amazing to see an old prototype train at the station entrance. For the record, I was there for the first time though my family spent a great deals of years in Tanah Merah region. My sister, Rosnani had attended boarding school in Tanah Merah (*Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Dato Mahmud Paduka Raja).


I wish to record below scene forever in my head. Seeing both hubby and his brother in law talking, smiling cheerfully about all subjects in the car and while we went for dinner at my brother's house brought peace to my mind. They are indeed very close item before and from now onwards. Amen.  



Tanah Merah (meaning Red Earth or laterite) is a territory and town in the state of Kelantan, northeast Malaysia.The capital and main town is Bandar Tanah Merah where is situated nearby Sungai Kelantan. It is bordered by Pasir Mas (another territory) in the north, Machang to the East, Kuala Krai to the South East, Jeli to the South West and Thailand in the West. The facts of history mentioned in the history of China  discovered from the website is practically new to me. It was said that historically, Tanah Merah used to be a capital of a kingdom called Chi Tu. Chinese Sui Dynasty records of the 7th century describe an advanced kingdom called Chi Tu ( mean "Red Earth") was in the area now called Kelantan. The ancient name for Kelantan was "Raktamrittika", meaning "Red Earth" which was later changed to "Sri Wijaya Mala". Chi Tu dynasty along with Langkasuka in Kedah was trading along the Asia route in between 1st to 7th century.



I used to see Bandar Tanah Merah as a small town and often came here with my late father during my childhood days. Today after many years has passed, I've seen seen major changes in the city. Since the last decade when the younger generation started to migrate to the many parts of the cities including Singapore and the Malaysian west coast for higher paying jobs. Money sent back to their families has catalysed growth, expansion and development of the town. The trend is happening to other region of Kelantan, thus, all cities in Kelantan being modestly upgraded.


Even the mosque in below photo had undergone numerous renovation and extension. The choice of color painting matches with the city's decoration. Awesome! 


Tourist may look for a variety of foods and cultural attractions if coming to Tanah Merah, but mostly tourist are more attracted to shopping. For those who want cheap and local products, they can go to Bukit Bunga. There be a variety choices of clothes, house equipment and food and customers can negotiate prices like anything when shopping in Bukit Bunga. Below is the photo taken along the roadside of Bukit Bunga, in very early morning, when it was not yet crowded from tourist.



As for me, I look for a must have Bukit Bunga yummy soup. The soup was still at boiling stage and yet to be ready at the time we arrived. The chef had to expedite when she saw an urge expression on my face. Most recommended for all. The stall is seated next to the junction of the above road sign photo.

No comments: