Labels

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Singapore, Sultan Mosque

Event date: 7th June 2010

After an exhausted walks in Singapore Zoo, we went to Arab Street for lunch. It was the Malay area nearer to Sultan Mosque. The food was delicious. After lunch, we drove to Sultan Mosque and parked there. Masjid Sultan a.k.a Sultan Mosque is located at Muscat Street and North Bridge Road within the Kampong Glam district of Rochor Planning Area in Singapore. The mosque is considered as one of the most important mosques in Singapore. The prayer hall and domes highlight the mosque's star features.



When Singapore was ceded to the British in 1819, Temenggong Abdul Rahman, the island's chief, and Sultan Hussain Shah of Johore, under whose jurisdiction Singapore fell, acquired small fortunes in exchange for their power. Sir Stamford Raffles also granted the Temenggong and the Sultan an annual salary and/or allowances and the use of Kampong Glam for their residence.





The area around Kampong Glam was also allocated for Malays and other Muslims. Sultan Hussain built a palace there and brought his family and a complete entourage from the Riau islands. Many of the Sultan's and Temenggong's followers came to Kampong Glam from the Riau Islands, Malacca and Sumatra.




Sultan Hussain then decided to build a mosque befitting his status. He constructed a mosque next to his palace from 1824 to 1826 with funds solicited from the East India Company. With a two-tiered pyramidal roof, it was of a typical design. The original building was replaced with a new mosque.



At JR Fragrance shop near Sultan Mosque

The management of the mosque was headed by Alauddin Shah, the Sultan's grandson, until 1879, when he passed the torch in to five community leaders. In 1914, the lease was extended by the government for a further 999 years and a new board of trustees was appointed, with two representatives from each faction of the Muslim community.



By the early 1900s, Singapore had become a centre for Islamic commerce, culture and art. Sultan Mosque soon became too small for this burgeoning community. In 1924, the year of the mosque's centenary, the trustees approved a plan to erect a new mosque. The old mosque had by then also fallen into a state of disrepair.



The architect assigned for the work adopted a Saracenic style, incorporating minarets and balustrades. The mosque was completed after four years in 1928. Sultan Mosque has stayed essentially unchanged since it was built, with only repairs carried out to the main hall in the 1960s and an annex added in 1993. It was gazetted as a national monument on 14 March 1975. The mosque is owned and managed by Majlis Ugama Islam Singapura (MUIS).


Another beautiful blue mosque at the junction, within Kg. Glam

There's a shopping arcade surrounds the Sultan Mosque. We had the opportunity to shop for ourselves and for souvenirs. After that, the children's had a good time at the shopping mall, especially at their favourite Topman/Topshop boutique at a shopping mall near Brother Amin's house.


Post a Comment