Event date: 1st October 2012
In search for World Heritage of India, I have my heart sealed on Badami that I laid eyes on 1st October 2012. The mosque of deccan sultanate architecture was seen as soon as we approached the parking lot. The facts of the place and the history that I retrieved from Wikipedia are narrated below.
A word Badami is from badam (walnut) and the placed called Badami was the regal capital of Badami Chalukyas dynasty from 450 to 757 AD. It is famous for rock cut and other structural temples, located in a ravine at the foot of a rugged, red sandstone outcrop that surrounds Agastya lake. A little bit of ruler of Badami since ages ago:-
- 450 to 757AD: Chalukyas dynasty
- 757 to 992 Rashtrakutas dynasty
- 992 to 1120: Hoysalas
- 1120 to 1646: Vijayanagara Emprire, rose to prominence as a culmination of attempts by the southern powers to ward off Islamic invasions.
- 1565: The Adil Shahis of Deccan Sultanates
Cave Temple No. 1
Posing on the steps to Cave Temple No. 2
Vishnu Image from Temple No. 3
An impressive row's of carved colum at Cave No. 4 (The technology used to carved the column in fine lines and sharpness are indeed salutable)
The following are place of attraction in Badami, which mainly are the cave temples, gateways, forts, inscriptions and sculptures.
- The Bhutanatha temple, a small shrine, facing the lake, constructed in 5th century.
- Badami Fort situated on top of the hill.
- Vista points on top of the North Fort for the view of the ancient town below.
Due to time constaint, I was not able to visit the following attraction:-
- A Buddhist cave in a natural setting that can be entered only by crawling on knees.
- Temple of Banashankari, a Kuladevata (family deity) for many families, is located near Badami.
- Archaeological museum, that has collection of sculptures from Badami, Aihole and Pattadakal.
- Many Shivalayas including the Malegitti Shivalaya with 7th century origins.
- The Dattatreya temple.
- The Mallikarjuna temple dating back to the 11th century, built on a star shaped plan.
The lake is a source of water for the local town people
A beautiful cliffs
That's all for today. Thanks for reading :) Wassalam