Labels

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Mumbai - December 2011, Part 2

continuation page...

I'll take you through our foot note after meals that day..

The boys with Mumbai trademark Taxi in front of Elphinstone College

We did a right decision to walk after meal (with assurances to the boys that they will get compensation at fabindia boutique soon after) from the hotel that we stayed along the Chhatrapathi Shivaji Road heading towards Mahatma Gandhi (MG) Road. Apparently at least 8 important heritage buildings apart from Taj Mahal Palace Hotel and the Getaway of India shared in my entry yesterday are all seated close to each other. I had to cross the MG road to take the above photo of the boys with the Mumbai taxi. After I've done, I looked up and saw that the building where they stand is the majestic facade of the late 19th century Elphinstone College, a Gothic Victorian style university campus replete with stone balconies, balustrades, turrets and gargoyles. 

19th century Elphinstone College
Apartment buildings opposite Nathalal Parekh Road that I snapped after lunch after shopping at Bossini house. Must be nice for its resident to be surrounded with most important heritage sites of Mumbai.  


A commercial building, also located at Nathalal Parekh Road reflecting part of an art deco buildings in Mumbai. Beautiful. For the record, the photos taken in here is to inspired hubby while constructing our new home.


The Cafe Royal occupies 1 of the unit in the grandeur art deco building along MG Road. It's a classic place to operate a cafe. 


From SP Mukherji Chowk, beyond Madame Cama Road is the National Gallery of Modern Art seen in below photo. This elegant 3 tier circular stone building houses paintings by Indian and Foreign artist. Due to time constraint, we did not enter the gallery.


After passing by Regal Cinema, we stopped to admire the beautiful building house the Institute of Science. It was build using solid sand stone with beautiful decorated balcony.


Slightly further from the college and science institute, I paused Naim to pose as we have reached the entrance to the 19th century of David Sassoon Library. The library was funded by the affluent Jewish businessman, David Sassoon. Being a book worm myself, I could not resist to enter the library to have a glimpse of inside building and smells the books inside.


David Sassoon Library houses 1 of the oldest living library and reading rooms still in use in Mumbai. The building has been listed as a Grade heritage structure within the fort precint and the museum sub-precint as per the heritage regulations of the Mumbai Municipal Corporation. It was told that a group of young mechanics and foremen of the Royal Mint and Government Dockyard established a museum and library for mechanical models and architectural design in 1847, which lead to creation of David Sassoon Library in 1863. It was completed in 1870.


After that, we easily found fabindia retail store in 137 Jeroo Building, MG Road. I first went inside the store in year 2010 during 1 of my official trip to Delhi and went crazy over what they have offer in the shop. My purchased extended from garment to household furnishing i.e. curtains, cushion cover, table cloth etc. For those who wishes to visit their site, may click here "Fabindia website". Most importantly, think of me when you shop there as I will be drooling wherever I was to shop there too again and again. It may sound similar to my craze over "Jim Thompson Silk House" whatnot?

Entrance into magnificent Jeroo Building, occupied by fabindia

Fabindia or known as Fabindia Overseas Pvt. Ltd. is and Indian chain store retailing garments, furnishings, fabrics and ethnic products handmade by craftspeople across rural India. It was established in 1960 by John Bissel, an American working for the Ford Foundation, New Delhi. Fabindia started out exporting home furnishings before open up a domestic retail in 1976, its first store in Greater Kailash, New Delhi. Today, it has over 170 stores across India and abroad managed by his son, William Bassel. 

Home furnishing floor

I was not the only 1 who fallen deeply in love with fabindia. The man in black fabindia shirt was infected by me after I bought him too many shirts and kurtas from the shop. 


It was dark when we stepped out from fabindia. You guys must be wondering what I was doing smiling in the picture! 


None others than admiring a beautiful night view of David Sassoon Library house just across the road.

Venetian Gothic style David Sasson library at night - simply beautiful!

Before we went back to the hotel, we went nearer the Jehangir Art Gallery, which about to close in few minutes. My last photo before we rested for the night.


On the way to send my family off to the airport the following day, we made a last pit stop at Haji Ali Dargah nearby Bandra Worli Sea Link, where I stopped in August 2011. As the weather was not at all upsetting, I managed to snap a beautiful moment of my beloved hubby with the dargah view set as background.

Awesome view

Hope I had shared some enlightenment from my visits to Mumbai and thank you for visiting my page.

My thanks, peace, compassion and love to all. 

No comments: